Sunday, July 31, 2011

Yep, I'm a Fru-Fru Mom


I’ll be the first to admit this: I’m a fru-fru mom.  I love big earrings, big hair, big flowers in big hair, big heels and all things twirly including (but not limited to) dresses, skirts and scarves.  My girls are certainly not immune to their Momma’s love of all things girly and are already mini-fru-fru-lovers-in-training with Shopping Diva 101 class, Living Room Dance Sessions, studies in Cinderella and Snow White and, of course, they are also saturated in all things pink and frilly.

That being said, I can also kick it with the boys (well, my one BIG boy and two little boys that is!).  I can put down an obnoxious amount of greasy cheese curds at the State Fair before hoping on The Screamer and flipping around. I don’t mind getting sweaty pitch-forking a load of mulch or helping my hubby with whatever grimy yard-work he has to tackle. My husband jokes that he mostly fell in love with me when we met because I drove a pick-up and rode a motorcycle and the truth is, if I weren’t preggos 99% of my life these days, I would love nothing more than to hit the road on my bike again!

So, yeah, I’m a fru-fru mom.  But I’ve also got a big ol’ streak of tom-boy running in these veins and there’s probably a heck of a lot more you’d never guess about me.

Just like there is so much I wouldn’t know about you from only laying eyes on you…which is ONE fabulous reason that we Mommas should hesitate to put each other in a box based on appearances.  In fact, even though I love to wear a flower in my hair now and then, some of my dearest friends would never be seen in anything but a sweatshirt and jeans and I LOVE IT!  I love that were different on the outside in small ways but have so much in common on the inside in big ways!

That’s also why one of my all-time fave Bible verses is 1 Samuel 16:7, “Men look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 


The heart is what really matters.  Big heels or muddy boots, it doesn’t REALLY matter one bit.  Because when it comes right down to it, the fru-fru that means the most to this Momma is not big hair, big earrings or big heels…it’s a BIG heart.  That is what I strive to have and that is what I cherish in my true friends, big hearts are absolutely the BEST.


2 comments:

News From the Inside said...

Love it. My daughter went to Hunter's Safety Class in a purple flowered sundress with her nails painted, so we certainly know where you are coming from, :)

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

What a great post, I love your thinking!