Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We're Gonna Miss THIS?!?


Here is the scene from our most recent road-trip where we clocked over 25 hours in the van and of those 25 hours, the final 15 were traveled in 90-100 degree sunny temperatures with an air conditioner that quit working.  Did I mention this was with four children age four and under?  Jealous?  I’m quite sure!


We were cruising along the highway, the wind whipping through our hair when the girls in the waaaaay backseat begin to fuss.  Ever the doting and insane mother I can be, I volunteered to take care of the situation and clambered past the boys to squeeze my bum into the extra car-seat between our fussy ladies.

There I was, squished into a car-seat, drenched in sweat while reading them a book and trying to make two VERY bored tiny people laugh while three months pregnant, so nauseous that I was worried about no longer sitting next to an open window!

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, it didn’t.  Although nothing changed, everything got better.

I heard my husband from the driver’s seat belting out the tunes from a hit country song, “You’re Gonna Miss This.”  I had to smile to watch him (also drenched in sweat) singing along with Trace Atkins these words,
“'Cause You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this”

So I did take a look around since life looks kinda funny from the back car-seat.  Between me and my husband, my boys had their heads tipped together, sharing a headphone set to try to catch an occasional word playing from their favorite Star War’s cartoon on the DVD player.  To my left, my two-year-old EvaLee was nuzzled onto my shoulder, her favorite tattered blankie clutched in a little fist by her face.  On my right, my baby (8 mo.), Gabby, was finally happy again and flashing those killer dimples as she shook a rattle in her fist.


Yeah, Trace Atkins has a good point.  I am gonna miss this.  Okay, maybe not the van with no A/C on a 100 degree day seven hundred miles from home.  But I’m gonna miss the way we were; noise, messes and all.

Although it’s hard for me to believe it some days when I’m up to my eyeballs in messes, loud-ness and other children “joys”…I know in my heart, I’m gonna miss it.  We only get short season of life to squish into uncomfortable places and do things we’d rather not do sometimes in order to be with and love on those little people that mean everything to us.


So take a good look around because you may not know it now but…


you’re gonna miss this.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! Thank you for the reminder!

God bless, Donna said...

Thank you my dear, I really needed this. It's nice to have a reminder and to also know that your not alone..

Jestti said...

My oldest is a pre-teen and my youngest is still in diapers (with two in between). I already miss moments that have past this last decade. It truly does go too fast.

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Tara when you wrote "and do things we’d rather not do sometimes in order to be with and love on those little people that mean everything to us", has helped me to get through my anxiety today knowing I have to go to work from 230-1030pm. Yuck, and thanks.

Tara Cole said...

Hannah, thank you, it's a reminder I NEED too.

Donna, hey-we've all been there! So, when are we gonna grab that soda?!

Tanya, so I hear...some days it does seem slooow, lol!

Rachel, you are brave, you do so much to show your family you love them. Hang in there!