Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like THIS!



Mama said there’d be days like this BUT what she didn’t say is with a  night like THAT (up all night with a fussy newborn and a sick toddler), days like THIS would be KILLER.



It was 6:00 pm and I stopped wiping the table as I was cleaning up after the dinner rush to wipe the tears from my eyes. It was time God and I had a talk.  I was exhausted, mad, tired, spent and…did I mention, exhausted?!  I plopped down in a chair (and sat on some leftover macaroni but no longer cared) and crossed my arms in a pout (ever SO mature) as I faced off with the Kingpin of the universe.  Hello, God.



“I quit.  I can’t do this anymore.  I’m too tired and it’s too hard.  What’s the plan here, God?!”



The answer came quickly, “You need to do less and you need to do more.”



Okay.  That was definitely God.  Because if I would have come up with an answer it would have actually MADE SENSE!!  What in the world does THAT mean?!



Now I am mad, tired, spent, exhausted AND confused.  Thanks for that, God.



I can’t be sure but I’m pretty sure at that moment I heard a distant chuckle rumbling from above.  

Now He’s laughing at me.  Thanks.


Then I heard this, “My daughter, you need to do less on your OWN and in your OWN strength and more with ME and through MY power.”



Ah…NOW He’s making sense.



“Okay, sounds good--in theory, Lord…but, what does that actually MEAN?”



“When you spend time in my Word and in my presence in quietness and prayer, you will be empowered with the strength you need for everything I’ve called you to do.  Oh, and one more thing: you don’t need to do EVERTYTHING, just everything I have called you to do.”



Well, then.  That’s easy.  Why didn’t you just say so in the first place?  

Oh, right…He did.

I got up, brushed the macaroni off and went to dig out my Bible from under a pile of toys.  The toys and cleaning can wait.  I’ve got a date.



Mama did say there’d be days like this but Daddy (God) said with HIS power, I can do it.




No comments: