Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wild Texas Bushpoppers

http://www.thfire.com/entertainment/hollywood/adam-sandler


One of the great philosophers of our time, Adam Sandler, said something in an interview tonight that was truly profound, “She (his wife) has the power to destroy me.”  Although he said it in his usual joking manner, there was definitely something serious in his eyes and I think he knew the statement was also very true.
When I thought about his comment later, it hit me: I have the power to destroy my spouse too.

I’m not talking super-hero-powers here (which I’m sure will greatly disappoint my two boys) but super-power nonetheless.  I have the power of both life and death in the words I say, the power to build up or destroy someone and THAT is no joke.  (Prov. 18:21)

Let that idea just really hit home for a moment…our words have power to bring LIFE or DEATH.  Geez, thanks God, for that responsibility…no pressure, right?!


I am the first to admit I am no John Wayne and I have not yet mastered the art of lassoing in my wayward tongue when I get a bit of Irish fire started in my veins.  But good ol’ John’s deep throated drawl sometimes sounds off in my head when I’m about to speak something negative to my honey-pie,


(Click here to hear what he says, best coming straight from the source)


Sometimes I "can it" and avoid making that mistake and being a wild Texas Brushpopper (whatever that is!) but more often than not, I blow it.  Darn it!  If only I could just keep my mouth shut until that Irish spitfire in me simmers down.

The times I do build up my spouse (or children, friends, family, etc.), the results of those positive words are much quicker and cheaper than anything you could ever buy on an infomercial (even if it is only 3 easy payments of $9.99 plus shipping and handling and swindling cost).  A lit up face, a huge grin, a desire to do something kind in return; these are just a few of the wonders a kind word will evoke.

Many of you have heard of Florence Littaeur, one of the most influential and successful woman of our time.  Her success was hard-won as she fought most of her life to overcome many inner insecurities that she had.  Although she would never fault her mother for some of these, she once shared that her mom was never a very encouraging person.

When Florence grew up and asked her mother why she never said anything uplifting or kind to them when they were kids, her mom said this, “I didn’t want to say something good about you and be proven wrong later.”

Ouch.

The power of words.

Come to think of it, I’m going to stop typing this blog right now. There is a very sweet guy that just collapsed into a chair after a long day of working hard for his family and I have some life-giving words that are long overdue that I need to give him.

Until next time, ya wild Texas Bushpopper.





No comments: