Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Being Billy




Does anyone else think that Billy Graham just plain did it right?  He walked the talk.  He lived what he loved.  He is rare kind of man these days in a world that lacks integrity.  He started with a bang and is finishing just as strong.  Amazing.


What’s his secret?  When I first heard it, I was blown away.  Not because it was so profound and intense but rather because it was so…simple.   It was so easy that even someone like ME could be like Billy!


This secret was something someone told him when he first began his “Just As I Am” crusades and he held on to this idea for dear life.  Here it is:


*Everyday, spend at least 15 minutes talking to God.
*Everyday, spend at least 15 minutes listening to God.
*Everyday, spend at least 15 minutes telling someone about God.


That’s it.  Simple.  True.  Pure as driven snow.  And best of all, easy!


One time, a university student posed this question to Billy Graham, “What is the greatest surprise you have found about life?” 


“The brevity of it,” he replied without hesitation. “Time moves so quickly, and no matter who we are or what we have done, the time will come when our lives will be over. As Jesus said, “As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work” (John 9:4).”


I can’t host a “Just As I Am” Crusade that will lead thousands to make a decision for Christ, but I can come just as I am to Christ and pray for a different person every day for a thousand days in the hopes they will make a decision too.


I’m going to be thinking these next few weeks a little more about what I CAN do and stop worrying about what I CAN’T do right now.


Talk to God?   I can do that.  Listen to Him?  I can do that (granted, it may have to be in the bathroom with the door locked if I want to actually hear Him!!).  Tell someone about God?  I can do that too.  In fact, I’m doing that right now (smile).


Being like Billy is something I can do…at least in a very small way.


No comments: