As Easter is JUST around the corner the realization finally hit me: alas, I have too many ideas and dreams and too LITTLE time!! There are a million cutsie crafts and treats I wanted to make with the kids but between feeding a newborn that loves to eat 24/7 and chasing around my other fab four...I melted down...well, melted marshmallows that is and made the EASIEST Easter treat I could find.
So, if you too are short on time and big on dreamin', maybe this SIMPLE kid-idea will get ya through until reality and hopes come together! Enjoy...
(I found this fun recipe at KitchenSimplicty Blog)
Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 40 large marshmallows (5 cups mini or 250g)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 6 oz. baking chocolate (white or regular works!)
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat. Stir in vanilla. Remove from heat and add rice krispies. Stir until equally incorporated.
- Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out some of the mixture and form into an egg. Set aside and repeat until all of the mixture has been used up.
- Melt chocolate. Dip the tops into chocolate, then into sprinkles.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to two days. Freeze for longer storage.
* If you don’t want to go through the work of making the eggs. You could put the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. Once it has set up, cut into bars and dip away. Still festive, less work.
* Dampen your hands with water before forming to stop the mixture from sticking to them.
Very carefully melting the marshmallows and butter. Team effort, of course!!
(You can see Gideon already sampled some...)
The kids love measuring out the ingredients.
And Judah loves being a goof-ball!
A 1/4 measuring cup sprayed with a bit of non-stick spray made the perfect size ball to form the eggs.
Gideon declared after he formed some nice eggs and I complimented his work, "Well, I guess that is the talent God gave me." We'll just hope you have a few other talents, kid...though that egg-shaping skill could really come in handy in life..somehow!!
Judah said after that, "And my talent from God is EATING them!" Amen!
Dipping the "eggs" in melted white chocolate followed up with a dunk in a bowl of sprinkles.
"Can we eat them yet, Mom?!"
Yep, GO FOR IT! Save some for Easter though...
Just a fun little idea (you could come up with something WAY cooler!!)-I placed the eggs in an empty egg-carton and tied them up with a ribbon to give to friends and family! Enjoy!