What is more perfect with the change of weather than a bowl of warm soup on a chilly day? Here's one of our family favorites...and it's healthy and easy too!
· 1-2 T. olive oil
· 1 cup celery, chopped small
· 1 cup onions, chopped small
· 1 cup carrots, chopped small
· 1 cup mushrooms, chopped small
· 2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
· 3-4 T. garlic, minced
· 4 cups (or more) chicken broth
· 1 pkg. of wild rice with seasoning mixes (bags or box is good)
· 3-4 T. cornstarch
· 3-4 cups half & half or cream
· Seasoning salt, to taste
· Pepper, to taste
1. Cook the package of rice with wild rice AND season packet according to package directions. Add in carrots right away to cook with it.
2. Sauté in hot oil the celery for five minutes then add in the onions sauté five more minutes. Finally, stir in mushrooms and chicken and cook with some seasoning salt for a few more minutes.
4. Once the rice/carrots mix is done cooking, add in the veggie & chicken mixture and stir well. Then add the chicken broth and boil. Lower heat (do NOT boil cream) and stir in the half and half with cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened (may add more cornstarch and cream mix if you want it thicker, it’s up to you). Finally, stir in the rest of the cream then season with seasoning salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with sour cream (if desired) and fresh garlic bread, perfect for a chilly day!!
|Kids love it too! "MORE please, Mom!!" (ha ha, they are eating LOTS of veggies...shhh....!!!)|